Saturday, January 24, 2009

Taking the Long View on Protecting my Back


My trainers have consistently remarked on the work ethic I exhibit when I work out. Seems that they enjoy seeing a woman who pushes herself and is able to lift relatively heavy weights. It has come to my attention recently, though, that I may want to be extra careful as I lift heavy weights, in terms of what it may be doing to my back long-term.

I certainly hear comments from all sorts of people that they have one type of back trouble or another. I simply would like to continue to enjoy my workouts and make sure I am taking the best possible care of my back.

I did some internet research and I found conflicting info, as per usual, but I also found a site with this helpful info:

**Weight lifting back pain is a common side effect of resistance based exercise.
**Make sure to always use good posture and form when lifting.
**Do not attempt more than you are capable of lifting.
**Do not twist your waist when lifting or putting down weights.
**Using heavy weights, or lifting when your muscles are overtired, are very common causes of weight lifting back pain.
**It is crucial not to lift heavy weights with a bent back. The vertebrae are much stronger when the spine is straight.
**I prefer to keep the weights moderate and the repetitions higher. I do not do any power lifting and usually keep the weight to about half of my ability to lift.
**Common sense should be your guide.

I would think that working out with a personal trainer would be safer than working out by myself because the trainer can correct my form, if necessary. My trainer often comments that I have excellent form when squatting or doing deadlifts. Deadlifts are the exercise that I worry the most about.

I have decided that for now I will continue these exercises, with the following changes: First, I will ask my trainer to hand me the weights when the exercise does not include the motion of picking them up. Squatting while holding two 25 lb. weights is a different movement than picking up the weights from the floor. Second, I will ask my trainer to be very careful with my back, especially when it comes to deadlifts and squats. Third, I will request that my trainer keep my back health in mind when he is training me. And fourth, I will remember that as fun as it may be to get the bigtime compliments for lifting something so heavy, the momentary pleasure may not outweigh the potential long-term pain.

Take care of your back! It's the only one you get.

1 comment:

  1. Good advice Sue. Back pain sucks. Having a toddler and back pain would be near impossible.

    JM

    ReplyDelete