Thursday, January 29, 2009

I've Been Sprung From Green Bean Hell

My trainer suggested a meal plan to me around the first of the year. His words, "Let's see how this goes for 10 days with no cheats except your husband's birthday meal [on Dec. 31]."

This eating plan was a very strict, very low-carb diet, with a two-hour window each week to have a "cheat meal." The first two weeks I did very well, and the cheat meal was very satisfying, entirely devoid of guilt. I had definitely earned my cheat meal.

What was NOT in the meal plan was that my trainer developed some sort of personal issues that precluded him from training me (or anyone, for that matter). He "disappeared" and left me in Green Bean Hell.

I stuck with it for another two weeks, but as with all experiences I have had with high-protein, low-carb diets, my body eventually rebels. I was willing to do the diet for a short-term jumpstart on weight loss, but as the days dragged on, I was less and less able to be successful with such an extreme eating plan.

Had my trainer been able to stick around, I think he would have gradually adjusted what I was eating. And I know there are resource people at the gym to whom I can go to work on nutrition. Which I still plan to do.

But, for now, I've jettisoned the high-protein strict diet. What to put in its place? Perhaps a modified version of what I have been doing. Not sure. Bottom line is I want to be healthy and frankly, I feel great when I am eating high-protein, low-carb. There just must be some variant of it that would work better with my lifestyle and physiology.

No comments:

Post a Comment