Friday, January 9, 2009

Exercising in a Difficult Time

Although I am a happy and positive person, I am going through something quite difficult right now. My father, with whom I am very close, is nearing the end of his life. Today, during the time I would normally do my cardio, I was at my parents' house, sitting with my father, scratching his back and murmuring soothing words. I came home this evening from their home, and realized I hadn't done any cardio today. Of course, 99 people out of 100 would excuse me for the day under the circumstances (and I'm one of the 99). But I have learned that rather than being a chore, cardio has the effect of energizing and encouraging me, physically and mentally. So, after I ate my proscribed meal, I got on the treadmill and did an entire cardio workout. I feel better. The earth wouldn't have collapsed if I had just curled up with a good book, but now I actually have enough energy to go back over to my parents' home and be there for them as much as I can for a few more hours.

Today's workout: 40 minutes interval training on treadmill.
Listened to while working out: Stephen Curtis Chapman, Andrea Bocelli, Don Henley, Annie Lennox, Clannad
Weight: 153.6
Water intake: Nearing goal of 1.5 gallons. 1 quart to go.
Feeling stronger today? Whenever I complete a workout or a cardio session, I do feel stronger. Today I am feeling not as strong as I watch someone I love suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment